Changing you life in 6 months might seem like a grand undertaking.
Truth is, it can be an undertaking that has a profound impact on the rest of your life.
In six months, you aren’t going to become the next Picasso, Jobs, or Kobe. However, you can reframe your mind and develop autonomous habits that put you in a peak state everyday in order to achieve results that can skyrocket you into the stratosphere of productivity and success.
I’ve always been a fan of American Football.
It’s something that I enjoy both the narrative and the actual play of the game.
It’s something my father and I connect on and it holds some nostalgic quality for me.
I’d like to draw a parallel between the “rebuilding” of a football team and the “rebuilding” of one’s self over the span of 6 months.
Selecting and grooming your Quarterback (first 30 days).
The quarterback is arguably the most important position in all team sports. If you have a Franchise Quarter back (someone whose skills and leadership you can rely on for years and years) you can expect to have a comfortable leg up on the competition in your field.
This is your brain and your mindset.
Your mind is the quarterback to your life. With a healthy, able and leading mind at the charge, you are putting together the biggest piece of the puzzle in terms of guiding your team (life) into a winning situation. So how does one go about creating a winning mindset?
- Regular exercise. Healthy mind, healthy body. You cannot go out on the field if you aren’t in proper shape to compete.
- Properly fueled body. The game is long. If you don’t have the proper fuel to sustain high levels of energy, you cannot hope to crush the competition (obstacles that lay in front of you).
- Optimal mechanics. Think about all the great quarterbacks throughout time (or pick any sport really). They have hammered down all of their mechanics. Commentators will marvel at their technique. Put in place regular habits in your day- the scheduling of your meals, proper blocks of time to work on projects, regular sleep schedule etc.
Finding your coach (months 2–3).
A quarterback is only as good as the mentor behind him. All too often have we seen wasted talent in the league because there wasn’t proper grooming to go along with their development and nurturing.
Finding proper guidance and mentorship.
Whatever field you may find yourself in, there are always going to be people who have gone through the gauntlet you may find yourself currently in. These people are at your disposal and are here to help you with proper guidance and growth.
- Elevated results. You are currently finding your “groove.” You are in a healthy state and firing off on your habitual daily structure. Chances are, if you don’t find a catalyst (mentorship) to take you to the next level, there is a very good chance you will plateau. The mentor is here to halt that from happening.
- Varying mediums. The mentor can come with many different faces. They can be found in person, perhaps in your place of work. They can be found at networking events. In today’s day and age, they can even be found online through valuable modules, videos etc.
Building an unshakable and relentless defense (months 4–5).
“Defense wins championships.” It’s a common saying in sports- especially football. When you have build a dominating defense, it gives you the opportunity to let your Quarterback in the supporting cast flourish and dominate the obstacles that stand in your way.
Goal setting, forecasting, pivoting and reflecting.
Where now are you going? It’s a simple question but it needs properly defined parameters.
- Scheduling. People are going to see this new direction in you. They are going to perhaps want to assist you. They may be envious of you. Your defenses are going to need to remain stout. You are a few months into changing your life, this is great. Maybe you are seeing drastic results or maybe you aren’t as far along as you expected. Make sure you “stick to your plan.” You cannot be swayed by the whim of others. They are going to want to pull you in various directions. Stick to your lane.
- Clawing back. There are going to be times you give up a bunch of yardage or fall behind. Perhaps this is due to a sickness or a loss. Maybe you fell into a bout of laziness. This is going to happen in life. The best defenses are always playing to stop the forces coming at them. Don’t make this lethargy a habit. This is a game of inches. Take some of the ground back. Make a big play to get the confidence back in your progress moving forward.
- Short term memory. When something doesn’t work or you fail, you get back at it and try again. Learn from the mistake and press on. You cannot dwell on the big gains that have been made against you. This is going to cause you to lose focus and morale. Hold true to your mission as if your life depends on it.
The Big Game: The Super Bowl (Month 6 and on)
Great teams are built to win- so are you.
You didn’t necessarily have a choice being thrown into this world. Now that you are here, however, you should play to win. What other choice do you have? Do you want to be a laughing stock or perhaps a loser for the rest of your life?
- Set your sights on the Dream. The Dream is the Super Bowl. It is the Championship game. You can play to just be in the league, perhaps as a “benchwarmer” or you can play for all the glory. The choice is yours.
Changing your life in a matter of 6 months can be done. When it’s the beginning of the undertaking and you are looking in the mirror really, truly telling yourself you’re going to do it, it feels like an overwhelming undertaking.
It feels like 6 months is too long and you’ll never be able to change your life around.
That’s the mindset of a losing team.
The truth of the matter is, there are more losing teams than winning teams. You can look at the number of teams that have won the Super Bowl in the last 20 years and it boils down to a selection of several teams that have dominated over the years.
The question then becomes, are you one of those several teams?
Ready For A Boost?
I’m Offering You a Simple 10 Step Guide That Will Grow Your Mind And Help You Excel At All of Your Creative Endeavors.